When Does Attack on Titan Season 4 Take Place?
The world of Hajime Isayama’s Attack on Titan is a truly special one. Whether you like the militaristic undertones or not, the world Isayama has created is undeniably unique. The manga is finished, and the anime is slowly nearing its end, but the world of the franchise still keeps attracting fans who wonder about its origin and its structure. In this article, we will tell you when the fourth season of Attack on Titan takes place.
The fourth season of Attack on Titan takes place over a relatively long period of time, starting in 850 and ending during the Rumbling in 854. The final episode will also probably show the epilogue of the series, which is set several years after the Rumbling. Season 4 will bring the series to an end and finish the chronology of Isayama’s lore in the best possible way.
The rest of this article is going to further explore the world of Isayama’s Attack on Titan, as we are going to introduce you to the timeline of the whole anime, focusing specifically on Season 4 of the anime, which is currently ongoing. This article might contain many spoilers for those who are not fully up-to-date with the series’ events, so be careful how you approach the article.
When does Attack on Titan take place?
Now, Attack on Titan follows a separate chronology that doesn’t connect to our regular timeline of historical events. Since the series has a lot of steampunk elements, it is very difficult to determine the historical period in which it could be set; there are some medieval elements to the show and many modern elements from the Industrial Age. This is why it is best for us to tell you about the franchise’s chronology rather than speculate and give you some misleading answers. This is how things went down in Attack on Titan:
NOTE: Prehistoric events are followed by “B1,” indicating that they predate Year 1 of the given calendar system used in the world of Attack on Titan.
|-1003 B1||– Ymir Fritz obtains the Power of the Titans, becoming the very first wielder of the Founding Titan; |
– Beginning of Eldia’s Supremacy;
– Beginning of the “Dark Times” under Eldia’s rule.
|-990 B1||– Death of Ymir Fritz; |
– The Power of the Titans is divided between her daughters, Maria, Rose, and Sina.
|-368 B1||– “Fall of Lago”;|
– the “Devastation of Monte”;
– “Ravaging of Valle”
|242||– Then-King Fritz uses the power of the Founding Titan to change the constitution of the Eldians and enable them to survive a terrible pandemic;|
– A worldwide epidemic kills hundreds of thousands of Mahrs.
|743||Grande Guerre des Titans ; Chute de l’Empire d’Eldia ; Exil de Karl Fritz sur l’Île de Paradis Exil de Karl Fritz à Paradis ; Création des Murs ; Naissance de la Société de Paradis. Grande Guerre des Titans ; Fin des “Temps Sombres” ; Naissance de l’Empire Mahr.|
|773||– Great Titan War;|
– Fall of the Eldian Empire;
– Exile of Karl Fritz to Paradis Island;
– Creation of the Walls;
– Birth of the Paradis society.
– End of “Dark Times”;
– Birth of the Marleyan Empire.
|785||– Fall of the People of Ymir.|
|788||– Fall of the Titan Cult;|
– Fall of Dissent;
– Finalization of the Vertical maneuvering equipment;
– Bernhard Affair.
|806||– Birth of Grisha Yeager in Liberio, January 26.|
|809||– Birth of Faye Yeager in Liberio, November 24.|
|817||– Death of Faye Jäger at the age of 8.|
|824||– Grisha Yeager joins the Eldian Resistance.|
|825||– Abduction and assassination of Erwin Smith’s father by the First Division;|
– Birth of Zeke Yeager in Liberio, August 1.
|829||– Uli Reiss, Karl Fritz’s descendant, inherits the Founding Titan’s powers from his father.|
|832||– Grisha Yeager meets Keith Shardiz and settles in the District of Shiganshina;|
– Final fall of the Eldian Resistance.
|834||– Outbreak in Shiganshina District; |
– Grisha Yeager and Carla Yeager get married.
|835||– Births of Eren Yeager, Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlelt, Jean Kirschtein, and Conny Springer.|
|842||– Frieda Reiss inherits the power of the Founding Titan from her uncle Uli;|
– Zeke Yeager becomes the Beast Titan, succeeding Tom Xaver.
|843||– Beginning of Armin Arlelt and Eren Jäger’s dream of freedom;|
– Annie Leonhart, Pieck Finger, Reiner Braun, Bertolt Hoover, and Marcel Galliard become the Female, Cart, Armored, Colossus, and Jaw Titans, respectively;
– The Warrior Unit single-handedly annihilates an entire nation.
|844||– Eren Yeager and Mikasa Ackerman kill the three murderers of Mr. Ackerman and Mrs. Ackerman in self-defense; |
– Mikasa Ackerman is adopted into the Yeager family.
|845||– Fall of Wall Maria after the destruction of the gates of Shiganshina District by the Colossus Titan and the Armored Titan; |
– Launch of Operation Paradis Island.
|846||– the Royal Government orders Operation Recapture Wall Maria; |
– Nearly 250,000 people lost their lives, including Armin’s Grandfather.
|847||– Founding of the 104th Training Corps, joined by Eren Yeager, Mikasa Ackerman, and Armin Arlelt, among others.|
|849||– the 34th Expedition Beyond the Walls, Ilse Langnar encounters a Titan who speaks of the “Subjects of Ymir” and “Lady Ymir.”|
|850||– 49th Expedition Beyond the Walls, the discovery of the Notebook of Ilse Langner; |
– End of the 104th Training Corps;
– 56th Expedition beyond the Walls;
– Destruction of the Trost District Gate by the Colossal Titan;
– First Victory of the Human Army against the Titans at the Battle of Trost;
– Coup, and Coronation of Historia Reiss;
– Creation of the Lightning Spear;
– Battle of Shiganshina, victory, and recapture of Wall Maria;
– Recon Operation on Paradis Island, and use of a titanic chemical weapon on the people of Ragako;
– Battle of Shiganshina, the burning defeat of Warrior Unit, loss of Female and Colossus Titans;
– End of Operation Paradis Island;
– In 850, the Mid-East Allied Forces declared war on the Marleyan Empire.
|851||– Liberation of Paradis Island from the threat of the Titans; |
– First defense of the South Coast against Marley.
|852||– Completion of Port of Paradis construction; |
– Grand Reception, the first official visit by a nation to Paradis Island;
– Formation of an alliance between Paradis and Hizuru.
|853||– Inauguration of the Trost Railway Line;|
– Eren Yeager joins his brother Zeke’s conspiracy;
– Paradis sends soldiers on a secret visit to the Marleyan continent.
|854||– Supported by the Survey Corps, Eren Yeager attacks the Marleyan nation at Liberio; |
– Paradis’ first victory in enemy territory;
– Bombing at the Royal Palace of Mitras against Darius Zackly, marking the start of the Pro-Yeager Coup;
– Battle of Slava Fortress;
– End and Victory of the War against the Mid-East Allied Forces;
– Attack on Liberio by Eren Yeager, supported by the Colossus Titan and the Army of Heaven;
– Loss of the War Hammer Titan to Eren Yeager;
– Another attempt to invade Paradis Island, Second Battle of Shinganshina;
– Beginning of the Rumbling;
– Battle of Heaven and Earth, near For Salta.
|857||– Historia Reiss receives a delegation of the surviving nations of the Great Earthquake, made up of the heroes of the Battle between Heaven and Earth, to make a peace pact.|
When does Season 4 of Attack on Titan take place?
Returning to our table above, you’ll see that we have bolded several years and events. This is when Season 4 of Attack on Titan takes place. It is a very long season, encompassing events from 850 to 854, and the 587-set epilogue takes place three years after the Rumbling. This is the timespan we are talking about when Season 4 is concerned, and this is also the story’s conclusion, which once again confirms that Season 4 – whenever it ends – will bring the story to an end.