Neil Gaiman Fires Back at Misconduct Allegations, Calls It a ‘Smear Campaign’

Depositphotos
Our Editorial Policy.

Share:

Neil Gaiman has finally broken his silence about the s**** misconduct allegations that first emerged nearly two years ago. The famed author of The Sandman and Good Omens posted a long statement on Monday, February 2, firmly denying the claims and calling the situation a smear campaign. According to Gaiman, much of the reporting ignored evidence that contradicted the allegations.

“The allegations against me are completely and simply untrue. There are emails, text messages and video evidence that flatly contradict them,” he said. “These allegations, especially the really salacious ones, have been spread and amplified by people who seemed a lot more interested in outrage and getting clicks on headlines rather than whether things had actually happened or not. (They didn’t.)”

Gaiman explained that during his time away from the public eye, many projects based on his work were affected. Amazon shortened the final season of Good Omens, Disney paused its plans for a The Graveyard Book movie, and he stayed away from promotions for shows like Anansi Boys and Netflix’s The Sandman.

He also shared that one investigative journalist, writing under the name TechnoPathology, had looked closely at the evidence and reported the facts accurately. “I’ve had no contact with TechnoPathology. But I’d like to thank them personally for actually looking at the evidence and reporting what they found, which is not what anyone else had done,” Gaiman said.

While addressing the allegations, Gaiman also spoke about how he stayed productive during a strange, turbulent and occasionally nightmarish year and a half. He returned to writing, starting a new book he believes will be his biggest work since American Gods. The project, he noted, was initially meant to be short but has already grown longer than The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

“Once I was done with making television I went back to doing something else I love even more: writing. I thought it was going to be a fairly short project when I began it, but it’s looking like it’s going to be the biggest thing I’ve done since American Gods,” he said. Gaiman also shared that being a full-time father remains the most rewarding part of his life.

The legal case that sparked the allegations involved Gaiman and his estranged wife Amanda Palmer being sued by Scarlett Pavlovich in early 2025. Pavlovich claimed she had been assaulted, a claim Gaiman has repeatedly denied. He shared old messages to support his version of events and called the allegations the work of a fantasist.

Gaiman concluded his statement by thanking fans for their support. “Thank you again to so many of you for your belief in my innocence and your support for my work. It has meant the world to me,” he said.

Reporting referenced in my statement: technopathology.substack.com/p/neil-gaima…

[image or embed]

— Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself.neilgaiman.com) February 2, 2026 at 7:33 PM

With The Sandman finished, Gaiman appears ready to move forward with his new writing projects. He hopes this next book will mark a major creative chapter and allow him to put the past behind him.

Do you think Neil Gaiman’s upcoming novel can live up to his classics like American Gods and The Sandman? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments