Travis Knight Is Already Thinking About a ‘Masters of the Universe’ Sequel, and He Has a Very Specific Vision for He-Man
Few franchise reboots have survived a journey quite as punishing as ‘Masters of the Universe.’ The project spent years bouncing between Sony and Netflix, with the streaming giant ultimately walking away after spending roughly $30 million in development costs, before Amazon MGM Studios stepped in and delivered the production a proper path to theaters.
Director Travis Knight leads a cast that includes Nicholas Galitzine as Prince Adam, Jared Leto as Skeletor, Camila Mendes as Teela, Idris Elba as Man-At-Arms, Alison Brie as Evil-Lyn, and Kristen Wiig as Roboto, among others. Knight previously helmed ‘Bumblebee,’ and he brings that same instinct for grounding action with genuine emotional weight to the Eternia mythology here.
The film held its world premiere at the TCL Chinese Theatre on May 18, 2026, with a wide theatrical release set for June 5. From the earliest promotional appearances, it became clear that Knight arrived at this project carrying more universe than a single film could possibly contain.
At a roundtable interview during the promotional circuit, Knight revealed that if the film performs well enough at the box office to warrant Amazon MGM Studios greenlighting a sequel, he wants to dive deeper into the characters introduced in the first installment, particularly Prince Adam. His central question is what life actually looks like for Adam now that the transformation is complete and the young man raised on Earth has fully become He-Man. Knight made clear that the emotional core of any continuation would be rooted in relationships and how those bonds formed in this first chapter evolve and shift.
The sequel ambitions extend even further in a separate interview Knight gave to SFX Magazine. Speaking to Nerdist, Knight confirmed that She-Ra has always been a central part of his vision for this universe, saying that if future stories are lucky enough to be told, she will play a huge part. For fans who have watched She-Ra’s on-screen history get tangled in rights complications and studio boundaries for years, that kind of signal carries real weight.
The stakes of all this planning are sharpened by franchise history. The original 1987 live-action film starring Dolph Lundgren was a box office flop that grossed just $17 million and received a withering critical reception, earning a 21 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. Knight has been candid that if audiences do not show up for this reboot, those future stories simply will not be told.
What is clear from Knight’s own words is that the world built in this first film barely scratches the surface of the stories this universe has to offer. With decades of mythology, characters deliberately held back for future use, and a twin storyline that has never found its proper live-action footing, the ‘Masters of the Universe’ universe is waiting to be opened up. If summer audiences give Knight the keys to Grayskull, which corner of Eternia do you most want to see him explore first?

