Donald Trump Celebrates Stephen Colbert’s Firing, Says “Jimmy Kimmel is Next”
Donald Trump is celebrating CBS’s decision to cancel Stephen Colbert’s “The Late Show.” On Truth Social, Trump didn’t just cheer the news, he also criticized other late-night hosts like Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon.
He wrote, “I absolutely love that Colbert got fired. His talent was even less than his ratings. I hear Jimmy Kimmel is next. Has even less talent than Colbert! Greg Gutfeld is better than all of them combined, including the Moron on NBC who ruined the once great Tonight Show.”

CBS announced on Thursday that it will end “The Late Show” because of financial reasons, even though Colbert’s ratings have been strong. This surprise move led many to wonder if the cancellation is connected to the upcoming merger between CBS’s parent company Paramount Global and Skydance Media. The deal still requires approval from the Trump administration.
Earlier this year, Paramount settled a $16 million lawsuit that Donald Trump had filed against CBS. Trump had sued over a “60 Minutes” interview with Kamala Harris, claiming it was edited unfairly. CBS had said the lawsuit was without merit.
Several Democrats, including Senator Adam Schiff, have questioned whether politics played a role in CBS’s decision. Colbert has been a longtime critic of Trump, often using his show to mock the former president.
Fox News has been pushing Greg Gutfeld as a leading late-night host, but his show airs at 10 p.m., which is technically prime time and not late-night. He doesn’t compete directly with Colbert, Fallon, or Kimmel.
CBS executives released a statement praising Colbert, saying, “We consider Stephen Colbert irreplaceable and will retire ‘The Late Show’ franchise in May of 2026. We are proud that Stephen called CBS home. He and the broadcast will be remembered in the pantheon of greats that graced late night television. This is purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night. It is not related in any way to the show’s performance, content or other matters happening at Paramount.”
Colbert learned about the cancellation on Wednesday night and shared the news with his audience during Thursday’s taping. He joked, “It is a fantastic job. I wish somebody else was getting it.” When the crowd reacted with boos, he added, “Yeah, I share your feelings. It’s not just the end of our show, but it’s the end of ‘The Late Show’ on CBS. I’m not being replaced. This is all just going away.”
Despite CBS’s official explanation, many in the entertainment world question whether financial issues were the only reason behind the decision. Reports suggest that Skydance Media’s head, David Ellison, who is rumored to support Donald Trump, may have influenced the move. Both Colbert and fellow late-night star Jon Stewart, also part of Paramount, are known for their critical takes on Trump.
After filming an appearance on “The Late Show,” Senator Adam Schiff spoke out on social media, saying, “If Paramount and CBS ended the Late Show for political reasons, the public deserves to know. And deserves better.” This has sparked a conversation among fans and industry insiders about whether Colbert’s political commentary led to the cancellation.
The future of late-night TV on CBS is now uncertain, and the discussion about politics mixing with entertainment is only getting louder.
If you have thoughts on this, feel free to share in the comments!


