Draco Malfoy is one of the most popular characters from the Harry Potter fictional universe, created by J.K. Rowling. The character, as portrayed by Tom Felton in the movies, has become a fan favorite, despite being a rival of the main characters, especially Harry Potter.
In order to celebrate his legacy, we are bringing you a list of 20 best Draco Malfoy quotes as they have appeared in the books written by J.K. Rowling and Warner’s adaptations. Enjoy!
20. “I thought you were going to buy me a present.”
We start off our list with a classic young Malfoy demanding luxury from his father, because – why the hell not? He has a lot, but why not have even more?
19. “Oh, tremendously funny! Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!”
Hagrid thought that the Monster’s Book of Monsters was a great book for his classes. It was, although it was also a bit homicidal, which Malfoy didn’t fail to notice.
You’d think that Malfoy would limit his insults to one person at a time, but the guy actually managed to insult both Neville and Ron at the same time. He was wrong about Neville being stupid, and Ron always has more of that’s important than Malfoy would ever have.
17. “Got plenty of special features, hasn’t it? Shame it doesn’t come with a parachute – in case you get too near a dementor.”
This is just Malfoy being Malfoy in front of Harry. Because, if you can further traumatize and taunt an already traumatized school mate, why shouldn’t you do it, really?
16. “Oh yeah, terribly funny. Really witty. God this place has gone to the dogs. Wait until my father hears that Dumbledore’s got this oaf teaching classes.”
What a drag… Snape’s probably the only professor Malfoy didn’t complain about! This particular line is directed towards the loveable Rubeus Hagrid, who taught Care of Magical Creatures in The Prisoner of Azkaban, which wasn’t appropriate for young Draco.
15. “Astoria always knew that she was not destined for old age. She wanted me to have somebody when she left, because…it is exceptionally lonely, being Draco Malfoy. I will always be suspected. There is no escaping the past. I never realized, though, that by hiding him away from this gossiping, judgmental world, I ensured that my son would emerge shrouded in worse suspicion than I ever endured.”
We had to put at least one Cursed Child line, although the play never became as popular as the main books. This is a much older, much wiser Draco who’s had time to think about his deeds and his mistakes, and a Malfoy that we prefer over the selfish prick from the books.
14. “The last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened, a mudblood died. So it’s only a matter of time before one of them is killed this time. As for me, I hope it’s Granger.”
This is just Draco being mean. Okay, he was a kid back then so he didn’t fully understand the consequences of his words but it was still too mean for someone to say something like this.
13. “Well, no one really knows until they get there, do they, but I know I’ll be in Slytherin, all our family have been — imagine being in Hufflepuff, I think I’d leave, wouldn’t you?”
Now, dissing on Hufflepuff is something you shouldn’t do, ever! If anyone’s the good guy here, it’s the badgers! Oh, also, you share a dungeon with them? Not okay, Draco, not okay!
12. “What’s the good of that if I’m not on the House team? Harry Potter got a Nimbus Two Thousand last year. Special permission from Dumbledore so he could play for Gryffindor. He’s not even that good, it’s just because he’s famous … famous for having a stupid scar on his forehead… everyone thinks he’s so smart, wonderful Potter with his scar and his broomstick –”
Awww, the time when Malfoy brilliantly described what a spoiled, arrogant little prick he was. He had absolutely no talent but his father had money so he got him a broom and a place on the team. Harry was still better.
11. “They thought I’d die in the attempt, but I’m here . . . and you’re in my power. . . . I’m the one with the wand. . . . you’re at my mercy. . .”
Yeah, Malfoy tried desperately to sound tough here, but he was a scared little child and that was quite obvious to everyone. Realistically, it was a bit too much of him to ask at the time, but hey – hail Voldemort?
10. “Potter, you’ve got yourself a girlfriend!”
A comment aimed at Ginny defending Harry in the bookstore, but the joke was on Draco, since Ginny and Harry really started dating later on and they even ended up marrying and raising a family together. Maybe Draco only wanted the best for Harry after all?
9. “Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.”
This one was directed towards Goyle, whose stupidity is a well known fact in the series and Draco didn’t miss the opportunity to stress it out in this crucial moment. And he was right.
8. “You’ve picked the losing side, Potter! I warned you! I told you you ought to choose your company more carefully, remember? When we met on the train, first day at Hogwarts? I told you not to hang around with riffraff like this!”
You should see quote #2 for some context, as Draco refers to that moment when he says Harry picked the wrong side. Luckily for the series, the joke was on him. Again.
7. “Maybe you’d rather not risk your neck. Want to leave it to the dementors, do you? But if it was me, I’d want revenge. I’d hunt him down myself.”
This was a taunt related to Sirius Black and his escape from Azkaban Prison. Now, Sirius Black was, at the time, taught to be the one who betrayed Harry’s parents to Voldemort, which proved to be a lie, and that is why the joke was on Malfoy with this one, just like it was in some other situations as well.
6. “You’re going to pay. I’m going to make you pay for what you’ve done to my father. …”
Draco, as you can see, really had a thing for Harry and wanted to get back at him. Most of the time, though, he was completely unsuccessful in his attempts and these were just empty threats but Malfoy kept on making them in spite of everything.
5. “Famous Harry Potter. Can’t even go into a bookshop without making the front page.”
This happened in The Chamber of Secrets, when one famous man met another famous man, i.e. when Gilderoy Lockhart met Harry Potter while he was promoting his books. Lockhart is not the best man to be associated with, but Malfoy certainly used his opportunity to stab Harry.
4. “My father and I have a bet, you see. I don’t think you’re gonna last 10 minutes in this tournament. He disagrees. He thinks you won’t last five!”
This is our last Potter-centered trash talk on the list, taken from The Goblet of Fire. When Harry’s name was put into the Goblet and he was chosen as Hogwarts’ second champion, Draco and his father, of course, bet on when Harry would die during the tournament. The joke was on them… although only partially.
3. “This class is ridiculous.”
This isn’t really a memorable quote, especially since everyone adores professor Lupin, but it’s a rather witty remark that played on the spell that Lupin had thought the class on that day. Malfoy was in his usual mood, but Lupin didn’t really seem to care and he continued with the class. Luckily for Malfoy Moody wasn’t there.
2. “You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there.”
Not his opening line, but this line has actually marked Draco Malfoy for the remainder of the series, as it showed just how much of a snob he was. Malfoy thought he was better than all the rest and he openly behaved like it, even trying to lure Harry to his worldview, but without success.
1. “You’re dead, Potter.”
We finally picked this one to close our list because it perfectly summarizes the role Malfoy had in the story in relation to its protagonist. This was an often-used threat and showed Malfoy’s initial animosity towards Harry while they were in school.