Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!, better known as simply Full Dive, is a Japanese light novel series written by Light Tuchihi and illustrated by Youta. It has been published by Media Factory since August 2020 under their MF Bunko J imprint. A manga adaptation of Kino began serialization in Media Factory’s Gekkan Comic Alive magazine on January 27, 2021. An anime adaptation produced by studio ENGI premiered on April 7, 2021. In this article, we are going to tell you everything you need to know about a potential second season of Full Dive.
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in January 2024, the second season of Full Diver is still unconfirmed.
Full Dive season 2 release date
Light Tuchihi launched a light novel with illustrations by Yota under Media Factory’s MF Bunko J imprint on August 25, 2020. A manga adaptation illustrated by Kino began serialization in Monthly Comic Alive on January 27, 2021. On December 4, 2020, an anime adaptation of the original story was announced.
The series is being produced by ENGI and directed by Kazuya Miura, written by Kenta Ihara, with Yuta Kevin Kenmotsu serving as the series’ character designer. The series premiered on April 7, 2021, on AT-X, Tokyo MX, SUN, KBS Kyoto, and BS1 and consisted of a total of 12 episodes. Mayu Maeshima sang the opening song “Answer” while Ayana Taketatsu, Fairuz Ai, Shiori Izawa, and Aoi Koga sang the ending song “Kisuida!”. In North America, the anime is licensed by Funimation.
So, what does all of this tell us about a second season? Well, it goes to show that the series is somewhat popular and that there is more material to adapt, i.e., that there is demand for more content. Still, as of this moment, we don’t know about the future of Full Dive. The series has not been canceled yet, which is definitely a good thing, but the lack of information about a continuation is also disturbing. The earliest we could see a potential second season of Full Dive is late 2024, with 2025 also being a possibility, depending on if and when the season is announced.
However, considering that season 1 was released almost three years ago, the chances for a second season are getting slimmer by the day.
Full Dive season 2 plot and spoilers
At this moment, we do not know where the second season of Full Dive could take us because we don’t know how many volumes of the light novel series the season could potentially adapt. Namely, due to a lack of information in general, we have absolutely no clue how far the second season might go when it premieres. What follows is an overview of the source material which is going to reveal what could be adapted in a potential second season.
Hiroshi Yuki, a high school student and avid gamer, unwittingly purchases Kiwame Quest after being tricked by Reon Kisaragi. The game, known for its realism and player freedom, was unpopular a decade ago. However, its servers are still active, allowing Hiro to enter the immersive virtual reality MMO. Inside the game, he encounters NPCs resembling his childhood friends. A chance encounter leads to Hiro unintentionally killing an NPC named Martin, marking him as a criminal and triggering a relentless pursuit by the city’s guards within the game.
Believing that Kiwame Quest will have the same gameplay conventions as other games, Hiro soon learns that this is not the case: wounds are healed several days after the application of the medicine; there is no “restart” or “start over” button in the game, every decision is final; in order to fight better in the game, you need to really learn how to fight, and to use a grenade, you need to remember to light the fuse. In order to continue playing, Hiro has to gather all his strength and knowledge both in the game and in the real world.
Along the way, he will meet various female characters – both players and extremely realistic NPCs – and they will all surround him with attention, wanting to get something from him.
Full Dive season 2 cast
The main cast of Full Dive remains relatively unchanged for the upcoming possible seasons, following the unwritten rule in anime adaptations. The key voice cast members expected to return for the second season and beyond include:
- Hiro Yūki (Daiki Yamashita): A high school student tricked into buying Kiwame Quest, seeking an escape from reality through VRMMORPG.
- Reona Kisaragi (Ayana Taketatsu): Game store manager who tricks Hiroshi into buying Kiwame Quest, supporting him during the game and promising to marry him if he completes it.
- Alicia (Fairouz Ai): Hiroshi’s childhood friend in Kiwame Quest, seeking revenge after her brother is accidentally killed by Hiro.
- Mizarisa (Shiori Izawa): The town inquisitor in Kiwame Quest.
- Kaede Yūki (Aoi Kōga): Hiro’s younger sister, initially having a strained relationship with him.
- Martin (Haruki Ishiya): One of Hiroshi’s childhood friends in Kiwame Quest, and Alicia’s older brother in the game.
- Tesla (Satoshi Hino): Captain of Ted’s town guards in Kiwame Quest, initially portrayed as kind but later revealed to have a sinister agenda.
- Govern (Shizuka Itō): Queen and manager of Ted’s town, with a deceptive personality and a flirtatious front. She is Tesla’s mistress.
- Soichiro Kamui (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka): The only player known to have completed Kiwame Quest, with a past connection to Reona.
This consistent cast is expected to maintain continuity throughout the series, providing familiarity and continuity for viewers.
Have something to add? Let us know in the comments below!