Initially portrayed as just an important political figure, Princess Leia’s role expanded as the plot of Star Wars evolved, with her getting a proper character arc in the Sequel Trilogy. Princess Leia, Luke’s sister, Han’s wife and Anakin’s daughter, is undoubtedly one of the most important Star Wars characters ever and that is enough for us to dedicate today’s article to her!
This article is going to include a list of the 30 best and most memorable Princess Leia quotes, as they have appeared in the Star Wars canon. We have found some great lines from the movies, as well as the TV shows so we hope you’ll enjoy them!
30. “May the Force be with you.”
Leia’s parting words to Rey from the Sequel Trilogy. They also represent the fact that Leia finally embraced the Force and became a powerful Force user.
29. “She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad.”
Ummm… okay, Padmé really was beautiful, kind and sad, but wasn’t Leia talking about senator Organa’s wife? Okay, this is a continuity error because the Prequel Trilogy came out later, but still, Leia couldn’t have to know what Padmé was like, since she died during childbirth.
28. “I hope you know what you’re doing.”
The joke here was on Leia, as Han Solo rarely knew what he was doing. But, that was actually part of the guy’s charm.
27. “Someone has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy.”
Han didn’t really want to become garbage so Leia took matters into her own hands to save all of them. Can you really blame Han, though?
26. “Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.”
Leia didn’t really like Grand Moff Tarkin, the villain masterfully portrayed by the late Peter Cushing and she wasn’t afraid to express her disdain. That’s the difference – everyone hater Tarking, but most were too afraid to say anything.
25. “Looks like you’ve managed to cut off our only escape route.”
Han Solo was a skilled pilot, but he wasn’t the most reliable one in the Galaxy. Leia’s witty remarked reminded people of the fact.
24. “Lord Vader, I should have known. Only you would be so bold.”
Leia’s first line from the whole franchise, said when Darth Vader revealed himself to be the one who attacked her ship.
23. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I am a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan…”
Continuing on the previous one, Leia thought she had diplomatic immunity, but Vader quickly dismissed this, labeling her as a traitor and imprisoning her. Saving her would be a very important plot in the franchise.
22. “You’re a jittery little thing, aren’t you?”
Meeting an Ewok for the first time is always special. The Ewoks are cute and playful, and Leia really enjoyed meeting with one of them. He liked her too.
21. “Luke, don’t talk that way. You have a power I don’t understand and could never have.”
This one’s rather ironic, don’t you think? Okay, Leia did not know it at the time, but she would become a powerful Force user, as seen in the Sequel Trilogy.
20. “Same jacket.”
Leia’s first words are directed towards Han Solo during their reunion in The Force Awakens. Han really did have the same jacket as he did before. We just hope that he washes it regularly.
19. “Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?”
Poor Chewie, not only did his and Han’s ship suffer the insults from everyone who’d seen it, he was personally insulted by Leia. But, it’s all great now because they became best buddies soon after.
18. “I know. Somehow, I’ve always known.”
Luke and Leia are siblings?! Quel surprise! Okay, this revelation made their French kiss (okay, almost French kiss) a bit weird in retrospect, but no one seems to mind.
17. “I’d just as soon kiss a Wookiee.”
She loves me, she loves me not… a fitting description of the relationship between Leia and Han. Leia even went so far as to say that she’d rather kiss Chewie, who didn’t mind it at all. Right…
16. “I just never should have sent him away. That’s when I lost him. That’s when I lost you both.”
Leia loved both Han and her Sith-turned son, Ben. This is her reflecting on her choice which, she seemed to think, caused a rift in the family and left each of them to take care of themselves.
15. “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
Leia’s had some very funny moments throughout the franchise and her description of Luke’s height was certainly one of them. He really didn’t look the part but that’s because he was a Jedi.
14. “I did miss you.”
The first line from Leia’s unplanned goodbye to Han Solo. It was a truly emotional moment and a reunion that everyone wanted, despite the unlikeliness of its future.
13. “Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, Nerf-herder!”
Another example how Leia’s love for Han, especially since she was hurt that Han shared her emotions for him with Luke and Chewie. Okay, they ended up together, but it was a bumpy ride.
12. “You came in that thing? You’re braver than I thought!”
The Millennium Falcon has had its ups and downs but it would always end up being the subject of trash talk. It didn’t look like much and Leia wasn’t afraid to emphasize that.
11. “When did that ever help? And don’t say the Death Star.”
When Han and Leia reunited in The Force Awakens, it was more than emotional, especially since they showed us that their relationship hasn’t changed, despite them being separated.
10. “You have your moments. Not many of them, but you do have them.”
Han and Leia always seemed to have a love-hate relationship, although it was just a question of different personalities. They loved each other, but they weren’t that big on words.
9. “Well, I guess you don’t know everything about women yet.”
There was a lesson to be learned for both Luke and Han in this line, as the only female member of the crew taught them some valuable lessons about personal relationships.
8. “Hope is not lost today…it is found.”
Hope was an essential element in the Star Wars franchise and Leia’s motivational speech during The Force Awakens emphasized exactly that aspect of Lucas’ world.
7. “Oh, it’s not like that at all. He’s my brother.”
A shocking revelation, for Han Solo at least. Han was afraid that Luke was coming at his girlfriend, only to be shocked by this revelation. Wait, didn’t the two of them kiss before?!
6. “We have powerful friends. You’re going to regret this.”
While imprisoned by Jabba the Hutt as his slave, Leia tried to bargain with the slaveowner, but her remark only made Jabba laugh, as he promised to enjoy her company in the meantime.
5. “Would it help if I got out and pushed?”
Yet another Han and Leia moment, as Leia comically offered to help push the Millennium Falcon when the ship did not start immediately while they were on Hoth.
4. “If you see our son, bring him home.”
This one is related to both #14 and #3; it actually presents Leia’s last words to Han Solo, who went to save Ben, only to end up being killed by him in the process, something Leia could not have anticipated.
3. “No matter how much we fought, I’ve always hated watching you leave.”
The Force Awakens had its emotional moments, as well as the whole Sequel Trilogy, despite closing a chapter in the franchise’s history. This was a touching reunion between Leia and Han Solo.
2. “I love you.”
Leia saying these words to Han Solo just before he was about to be cryogenically frozen was one of the best moments of the whole franchise, especially since Harrison Ford went off script and improvised the reply.
1. “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.”
This is the line that started it all – Leia’s plea to Ben Kenobi, sent via R2-D2 and found initially by Luke Skywalker, who helped the droid locate Ben Kenobi. And kick-star the franchise.
Before we wrap this up, here are a few frequently asked questions about Princess Leia quotes: