Netflix’s ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ is stirring up excitement, especially among fans of the original comic series and the previous movie adaptation. As a parent, knowing whether this new animated series fits into your child’s viewing list is crucial. With different age ratings in various regions and a mix of content, the decision isn’t always straightforward. In this article, I’ll simplify the age ratings and content of ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off,’ helping you make an informed choice for your family’s entertainment.
‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ age rating explained
The age rating for ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ is an important factor for parents to consider. In the US, the series is rated TV-14. This rating is given to shows that might contain material considered unsuitable for children under 14 years of age. Specifically, the concerns here include strong language and the use of tobacco. It’s somewhat similar to a PG-13 movie rating, indicating that it’s best for teens rather than younger children.
Across the pond in the UK, the show gets a 12 rating. This means it’s seen as appropriate for viewers 12 years and older. The UK rating points out strong language and violence, aligning with the US’s TV-14 rating. These ratings suggest that while the show may appeal to a younger audience, its content is more suited for a teenage demographic.
Is ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ okay for your child?
Whether ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ is suitable for your child depends largely on their age and what kind of content you’re comfortable with them watching. The show’s TV-14 rating in the US and 12 rating in the UK suggest it’s best suited for teenagers. The main areas of concern are strong language, scenes involving tobacco, and violence.
If your child is under the age of 14, you might want to preview the show first or watch it together. This way, you can provide context or turn it off if it seems too mature. It’s not the most intense show out there, but the themes and some scenes might be a bit much for younger viewers. For teens, however, it could be a fun and engaging watch, especially if they’re fans of the comic series or enjoy animated storytelling.
Other kids-friendly shows like ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’
For younger audiences or those looking for something similar but with a lower age rating than ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off,’ there are plenty of great options. These shows offer a blend of adventure, humor, and sometimes a touch of fantasy or science fiction, making them perfect for a younger crowd or for family viewing. Here’s a list of some fantastic alternatives, each with its unique appeal and appropriate age ratings:
- Adventure Time (TV-PG): This animated series is known for its whimsical and often surreal adventures in the Land of Ooo. It’s suitable for slightly younger audiences and is a hit with both kids and adults for its imaginative storytelling and quirky humor.
- Gravity Falls (TV-Y7): A mystery-comedy series about twins spending their summer with their great-uncle in a strange town. It’s packed with adventure and supernatural elements, perfect for younger viewers who enjoy a good mystery.
- Steven Universe (TV-PG): This show blends science fiction and fantasy, following a young boy, Steven, who lives with magical humanoid aliens. It’s celebrated for its heartwarming storytelling, inclusivity, and tackling of complex themes in a way that’s accessible to kids.
- Regular Show (TV-PG): A quirky series about two friends, a blue jay, and a raccoon, working in a park and getting into all sorts of bizarre and supernatural situations. It’s a hit for its unique humor and imaginative plots.
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil (TV-Y7): Follows a magical princess from another dimension who battles villains throughout the multiverse. It’s fun, energetic, and full of heart, appealing to a younger audience with a taste for adventure and magic.
These shows, with their varied themes and age-appropriate content, offer great alternatives to ‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ for different age groups, ensuring that there’s something enjoyable for every young viewer.
Have something to add? Let us know in the comments below!