Despite not being as popular as Hollywood, Bollywood is – today – one of the biggest players in the world of international cinema. Hindi cinema, also called Bollywood (a portmanteau of the words “Bombay” and “Hollywood”), produces around 2,000 feature films per year and has a large domestic audience. Bollywood films aren’t really as popular in the West as they are in their native country, but there certainly are some must-see classics and the fanbase in the West has been increasing throughout the years. This is why there is an increased demand for Bollywood movies in the West, and although some streaming services do offer certain Bollywood movies, people usually want more. This is why we, here at Fiction Horizon, have decided to tell you where and how you can watch Hindi movies with English subtitles online.
Hindi movies with English subtitles are available on several internationally available streaming services, but also on free video streaming services like Daily Motion or YouTube.
In today’s article, we are going to tell you where you can watch Hindi movies with English subtitles online and how you can do it. Also, we’re going to bring you a list of the 10 best Hindi movies you should start with. Enjoy!
Where to watch Hindi movies with English subtitles?
Hindi movies are widely available in their native country, India, but their availability in the West is still quite limited. This is due to the fact that Bollywood movies aren’t really that popular in the West (yet), but also because the Western market is so big and lucrative that streaming services don’t really have the need to spend money on copyright for Hindi movies because there isn’t such a large demand for them.
Still, Hindi movies are available in the West and there are several sites and/or services that offer them completely legally. Some of these are subscription-based service, while others allow you to watch these movies for free. The good thing for Western viewers is that all of these sites offer English subtitles with these movies, while some even offer subtitles in other languages. Let us see where you can watch Hindi movies with subtitles:
- Subscription-based streaming services: Streaming services like Netflix or Amazon offer some Hindi movies for their subscribers. And although some services have different rosters based on your location, the availability of Hindi movies around the world (except, perhaps, some parts of Asia) is severely limited. You generally don’t have to pay extra to see Hindi movies, as they are included in the basic package, but you do have to pay the regular monthly subscription fee. Also, these sites don’t have commercial breaks and usually have subtitles in at least several other languages, aside from English.
- YouTube: Although YouTube has a policy of removing copyrighted content from its servers, some movies do make it to the site and those that “survive” the test of time are completely legal to watch. The thing with YouTube is that the site usually contains movies in several parts and that you have commercial breaks. Also, there are a lot of scammers who give you a couple of minutes of a movie and then demand that you pay or visit another site; don’t trust them, just find another link. YouTube also offers subtitles for some movies.
- Dailymotion: Dailymotion works in the same way as YouTube, but in comparison – it contains a larger amount of copyrighted material. We’re not going to dig into Dailymotion’s policies, but we can state that you can find Hindi movies with English subtitles on the site. They are also often in parts and there are commercial breaks, but aside from that, you can enjoy the movies without issues.
- ErosNow: ErosNow states that it is “Bollywood’s biggest movie collection” online. The site really does have an astronomical amount of Hindi movies with English subtitles so you can watch them all in high quality. The “issue” with this site is the same as with the ones listed under #1 – you need to pay to watch these movies. But, the good thing for Bollywood fans is that the money is really worth it and that you will get your money’s worth on the site.
With this, we conclude our list of the best locations for watching Hindi movies with English subtitles online. Now, let’s get to the how part.
How to watch Hindi movies with English subtitles?
The process is quite simple, actually, and it depends on whether you’re watching through a free site or a subscription-based site. We’re going to lead you through it briefly:
- Subscription-based sites: In order to access what each of these sites has to offer, you need to pay a fee. Most services offer a free trial period, after which you have to select one of the offered packages to continue watching the content; during the trial period, your access to some content might be limited. As for the videos, they are usually in HQ and you can enjoy them anytime you want. The subtitles option is always available so you can select them when you decide to watch. Some sites also offer a pay-per-view option, meaning that you “rent” only one specific movie for a price, without paying any subscription fee, meaning that your options are not limited.
- Free sites: Now, all of this depends on the site, but a general rule is that you have to have a valid, working link in order to watch a movie. Most of these movies are divided into several parts, so you’ll have to find the other parts too, although that’s a fairly easy task to do. As for the subtitles, most of them have subtitles in English (at least), but since they’re not official translations, you can expect some errors from time to time.
And with this, the simple procedure is explained. Now, before we conclude our text, we are going to bring you a list of the 10 best Hindi movies with English subtitles you can start with.
10 best Hindi movies with English subtitles
In rural Bengal in the 1920s, Brahmin Harihar Roy lives in his ancestors’ house which needs repairs, but he is too poor to pay for it. He lives with his wife Sarbajaya, his daughter Durga who regularly steals fruit from the orchard that they have been brought to sell to neighbors, his young son Apu, and Indir, an old relative. The house also houses a dog, cats and a cow. Sarbajaya takes care of household chores, food preparation and religious rites. Unable to earn enough money to support the family, Harihar sets out in search of a new job, leaving Sarbajaya alone to manage the family. During his absence, Indir dies, then, during a hurricane, Durga falls ill, and dies in turn. When the father returns, he finds the house devastated. The family decides to leave for the city.
Ram Prasad, a young auditor, and his sister Ratna are orphans who live in Bombay. One morning, an old family friend, Dr. Kedar, comes to visit him with information about a very well-paid job being advertised by Bhavani Shankar, the owner of Urmila Trading Corporation, who happens to be Dr. Kedar’s personal friend also. Bhavani approves of Ram Prasad Dashrath Prasad Sharma’s mustache, oily hair and (short) kurta-pajama, and hires him. Bhavani Shankar is a bit nutty and feels young people should have no interests other than work, so when Ram Prasad wants to watch a hockey test, Ram Prasad tells him that his mother is sick to get leave. Of course, Bhavani goes to the same hockey test and spots Ram Prasad. When confronted at work, Ram Prasad tells him that he has a twin, who is good-for-nothing, who wears loud clothes and is clean-shaven and westernized. Turns out the twin knows music, so to rehabilitate him, Bhavani offers him a job teaching music to his daughter. Complications soon follow.
Forced to flee Thoothukudi, for political reasons and above all, after having shot down a policeman, the murderer of his father, an activist, the young Velu ends up being stranded in Bombay, in a Tamil slum. There, an old Muslim fisherman takes him under his wing and teaches him the ropes. Growing up, Velu becomes aware of the bullying and injustices done to his community. He decides to put an end to it, the day when, he suppresses, in blood and violence, a representative of the corrupt order and at the origin of all the misfortunes. He therefore becomes Velu Naicker, the “godfather-vigilante” for his compatriots, protecting them, in the face of all forms of injustice, for several decades, like an exterminating angel. The hero will end up burning his wings.
The protagonists of this movie are two very different people who, during their journey from Bhubaneswar to Chennai, argue with each other and discuss all sorts of topics about today’s world and its problems.
The World of Apu
Liberated from any form of attachment that was holding him back from immersing himself into Kolkata’s urban lifestyle after Sarbojaya’s death in Aparajito, Apu, now an optimistic, 23-year-old idealist and struggling author, has no other choice but to give up his degree for lack of financial resources. Being no longer accountable to anyone, Apu barely manages to scrape by, content with a meagre income and a humble roof over his head, until an unforeseen complication during the wedding of Aparna, the delicate sister of his university friend, Pulu, leads to an act of kindness and a wonderful, youthful romance. All his life, death, and the sense of loss, have been accompanying Apu in his perpetual odyssey of spirituality and knowledge, and now, a lifetime of joys, hopes, sadness, and tragedies culminate in the most momentous decision of his life. But, life’s mysterious duality cannot be defined by tragedy. What more could one ask for than a child’s charming, wide-eyed smile?
A law student from a lower caste begins a friendship with his classmate, a girl who belongs to a higher caste, and the men in her family start giving him trouble over this.
Ganpat Belwalkar a talented and respected stage artist has gained name and fame with the verge of retirement he decides to chill with his friend Rambhau and spend time with his wife Kaveri.He transfers his assets to his children and wants to live a relaxed life a straight forward person but sometimes his words don’t go well with others.After transferring his assets Ganpatrao looses his respect in the family circumstances force him and his wife to shift at their daughter Vidya’s place but there to they are ashamed by her.Ganpat and Kaveri leave their house on a stormy rainy night and take shelter wherever they can.Kaveri soon passes away and Ganpatrao starts to live on streets where he is taken care by slum dwellers.
The life of a young man turns upside down when he intervenes in a dispute in order to rescue his father (a cop) from a ruthless local outlaw.
Renowned Psychiatrist Dr. Sunny Joseph lives in America. He decides to travel to a town in India after he gets a distress call from his friend, who belongs to a very noble and wealthy family, to counsel and treat a female family member, who he suspects is responsible for a variety of incidents. Sunny accepts this assignment not realizing that there is another side to this tale, namely a vengeful spirit, who may not respond to his methods, and he may end up endangering everyone’s lives.
Seven people win a trip in a bar. They take an airplane to their destination, but en route the airplane has to make an emergency landing on an island. The passengers and their flight attendant Anand get off. Shortly afterwards the plane takes off again. Now they are all on their own. So the eight people make their way to a mysterious house in which only a butler seems to live. However, the butler is not surprised to meet the passengers and has already expected them. A little later, the guests learn that they will soon die.
And that’s it for today. We hope you had fun reading this and that we helped solve this dilemma for you. See you next time and don’t forget to follow us!