When one decides to talk about Demon Slayer, one usually talks about the demon slayers themselves or the demons. But, as the series has offered us a variety of other intriguing characters, we are going to talk about one specific group of characters in this article, namely the Ubuyashiki Family, whose leader is also the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps, although he is not a fighter. The Ubuyashiki Family has a longstanding tradition and a very close connection to Muzan. In this article, we will introduce the family to you, tell you about its members, as well as its role in the story and its relation to Muzan.
The Ubuyashiki Family has been leading the Demon Slayer Corps for thousands of years. However, the members of the family, as far as it is known, never participated in the fights themselves. Because they are related to Muzan, the family has been cursed, which is why they have made it their life goal to kill the progenitor of all Demons and to rid the world of their presence.
The rest of this article will focus on the Ubuyashiki Family and their role in the Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba series. The Ubuyashiki Family plays a major role in the lore of Demon Slayer, and this article will honor that role, as we are going to tell you everything you need to know about them in our informative text. This article will contain some spoilers from the Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba manga, so be careful how you approach it.
The Ubuyashiki Family are related to Muzan – and that is exactly why they want him killed
The Ubuyashiki Family has a long and important role in the history of the Demon Slayer lore. And while much of the family’s history is still a big mystery, we do know some essential information about them that we need to share with you here. As you know, the Ubuyashiki Family was introduced through Kagaya Ubuyashiki, the current leader of the family, as well as the current leader of the Demon Slayer Corps.
Although he does not fight and seemingly has no special abilities save for his foresight, all of the Hashira are extremely loyal to him and his family, i.e., his wife and five children (four daughters and a son). He is also sick and frail, with a deformed face, which is why his family takes care of him.
As for his family history, we know that the Ubuyashiki Family has been leading the Demon Slayer Corps for millennia. They have made it their goal to eliminate the Demons and to kill Muzan. And while it is implied that the family members themselves have never personally fought, they have been the leaders of the Corps for… well, forever, as it seems.
But, while it might seem normal that someone wants to get rid of Muzan and his Demons, the Ubuyashiki Family considers this fight quite personal. Namely, the members of the Ubuyashiki Family – including Kagaya – are relatives of Muzan Kibutsuji. Of course, Kagaya is a very distant relative, but back in the day, one of Kagaya’s ancestors was a close relative of Muzan.
Because their bloodline produced the progenitor of all Demons, the Ubuyashiki Family was cursed, and every male child born in the family was cursed to be born with a disease that would kill them before they were fully grown. Wanting to get rid of the curse, the members of the Ubuyashiki Family visited a priest, who told them that they should make it their life goal to kill Muzan and also make their male heirs marry a woman picked by a priest.
This seemed to work, as the Ubuyashiki children managed to survive into adulthood, although they were still plagued by illness and died in early adulthood.
This is why the Ubuyashiki Family wants to see Muzan dead, but you were wrong if you thought Muzan did not care for them. Muzan vehemently hated them as well and despised them for their weaknesses. The fact that they were related was of no importance to him; in fact, it seemed that he loathed them even more exactly because of that fact.
His Demons knew that finding and eliminating the Ubuyashiki Family was one of their main goals, as confirmed by Muzan himself, which confirms just how much they loathed each other and how much they influenced each other over the course of the story. We don’t know much more about the Ubuyashiki Family, as not much more has been revealed, so we will continue with the known members of the Ubuyashiki Family and tell you something about them.
The known members of the Ubuyashiki Family
As far as the Demon Slayer manga and anime are concerned, the known members of the Ubuyashiki Family include:
- Kagaya Ubuyashiki is the 97th leader of the Demon Slayer Corps, whose family started the organization. He possesses the ability to put others at ease just by the tone of his voice and by his actions. He also possesses a certain power of foresight which allows him to avoid disastrous situations and which has allowed him to amass a considerable amount of wealth and fortune. He is a distant relative of Muzan, and because of him, for having given birth to a demon, a curse rests on their entire lineage, whereby every child was destined to die shortly after birth. At a time when the family lineage was on the verge of disappearing, a priest advised his ancestor to redeem himself, dedicating his soul to fight demons, thus giving birth to the Demon Slayer Corps. Still, no one in his family has lived beyond thirty years. He devises a plan with Tamayo in which he decides to sacrifice himself in an explosion to weaken Muzan in preparation for the final battle.
- Amane Ubuyashiki is the wife of Kagaya. She first met the Demon Slayer Corps’s future leader at 17, when he was only 13. A priest specially selected her to be his wife as she was deemed fit to take care of his medical care, but Kagaya posed as a condition of the marriage that she would take care of him only of her own free will. Amane possesses the same calm and serious disposition as her husband and their children, the only time she let go of her usual composed demeanor was when Kagaya’s health started to deteriorate severely, and she started coughing up blood, immediately panicking and caring, showing a sincere love towards her husband, also demonstrated when she stood by him when he decided to commit suicide in an explosion in an attempt to take Muzan with him.
- Kiriya Ubuyashiki is one of the guides in charge of welcoming the candidates for the final exam to enter the Demon Slayer Corps and Kagaya’s only son. He is identical to his sisters but with black hair. After his father and two older sisters die, he becomes the new head of the Demon Slayer Corps in the final battle against Muzan. After Muzan’s death, Kiriya officially disbanded the Corps, as their mission was accomplished. In the last chapter, set decades after the main events, it is revealed that Kiriya is still alive and has become Japan’s longest-lived person.
- Kanata Ubuyashiki is of the guides in charge of welcoming candidates for the final exam to join the Demon Slayer Corps. Like her sisters and mother, she has white hair and the same calm and composed character. During the fight in the Infinite Dimensional Fortress, she is shown to have exceptional memory and mapping skills, having successfully mapped and memorized the entire structure, despite the ever-changing fortress.
- Kuina Ubuyashiki is Kanata’s twin sister and the family’s youngest member. In addition to sharing her appearance, she has the same abilities and skills as her sister.
- Nichika Ubuyashiki is one of the eldest daughters of the Ubuyashiki family. She died in the explosion engineered by her father, parents, and sister Hinaki.
- Hinaki Ubuyashiki is Nichika’s twin sister. She died in the explosion along with her parents and sister.