Seeing giant robots beating the life out of each other is as fun as seeing two monsters or superheroes do it, especially if you’re a mecha fan. This is why we have decided to give you an analysis of a hypothetical fight between fiction’s most famous robots – the powerful Voltron and the Transformers, an ancient race of sentient robots. Who would win in a fight between these two? Well, keep reading to find out!
In a fight between him and all the Transformers, Voltron wouldn’t really stand a chance because of the sheer number of the Transformers. Individually, Voltron would be able to defeat most of the Transformers with a few notable exceptions.
Voltron is an anime franchise that focuses on a team of five space explorers who pilot a giant Super Robot known as “Voltron”. The original television series aired from 1984 to 1985. The first season of Voltron, featuring the “Lion Force Voltron”, was adapted from the series Beast King GoLion. The second season, featuring the “Vehicle Team Voltron”, was adapted from the unrelated series Armored Fleet Dairugger XV. Voltron: Defender of the Universe was the top-rated syndicated children’s show for two years during its original run, and it spawned three follow-up series, several comic books, and a line of toys.
In 1984, Hasbro and Takara Tomy released a toy line that included robots that could transform into vehicles. They were Japanese toys rebranded for the Western market, based on the Diaclone and Microman toy lines. The toy line was named Transformers and it would soon enough become a pillar of modern pop-culture, with a series of animated shows, comic books, video games and – subsequently – live-action movies that created one of the most important franchises in the world.
Now that we’ve given you a short introduction, let us discuss the topic of this article in more detail.
Who is Voltron?
Voltron is the name of a fictional robot from the franchise of the same name. He is a giant super robot that is formed when five individual robots, piloted by a group of space explorers, merge together. He is extremely powerful and is able to combat different galaxy-level threats. The individual robots can change their order in order to give Voltron specific power boosts. Voltron is one of the best-known mecha franchises in the world.
The five space explorers who pilot the robots comprising Voltron are:
- Akira Kogane is the commanding officer of the Voltron Force, who pilots the Black Lion that forms the torso and head of Voltron. He is a quiet individual who spends much of his time pondering his decisions, thinking up new strategies, and simply being a leader. He also has a hobby of reading books and can often be found doing so either in the pilot’s lounge, or in his room.
- Isamu Kurogane is the second-in-command of Voltron, who pilots the Red Lion that forms the right arm of Voltron. He is a tall man, both wiry and wily, and Isamu is always cracking jokes and teasing others whenever he gets the chance. He is the only one in the group who contests any of Akira’s commands. He is a great pilot, though reckless at times. Takashi Shirogane was the original second-in-command, but he piloted the Blue Lion, and not the Red one.
- Hiroshi Suzuishi is the youngest, smartest, and smallest of the group; he pilots the Green Lion that forms the left arm of Voltron. His home planet, Earth, was destroyed by nuclear missiles from Emperor Zarkon. He graduated from the academy at a young age, and his speciality is science. Like the others, he is well-trained in martial arts, and uses his size and agility to his advantage. Hiroshi is not afraid to speak his mind, especially to the villains. His heart is often in his words. Also, he has a brother, Chip, who is a member of the Vehicle Voltron Air Team.
- Tsuyoshi Seidou is the strong-man of the group, piloting the Yellow Lion that forms Voltron’s left leg. While Tsuyoshi is tough and temperamental he also has a soft side, especially when it comes to children and puppies. He is never late for a meal. Though his friends tease him about his appetite, most of Tsuyoshi’s bulk is muscle.
- Princess Fala of the planet Arus is the ruler of the Kingdom of Arus (Altea), as well as the de facto ruler of the entire planet. Daughter of the late King Alfor, Allura inherited her father’s authority on his death and is commander-in-chief and head of state for the planet Arus, and thus Commander Akira’s superior. However, later she takes over for Takashi as the pilot of the Blue Lion that forms Voltron’s right leg.
Who are the Transformers?
As for the Transformers, they are the protagonists of the franchise of the same name. The Transformers are sentient robots, a race from the planet Cybertron. They were created by the Qunitessons but soon rebelled and chased their tyrannical creators away. They are known for being able to transform into different vehicles, objects and/or weapons, with a generation even being able to transform into animals.
There are two main factions of the Transformers – the benevolent Autobots and the tyrannic Decepticons.
Both Autobots and Decepticons are humanoid robots (for the most part), that can transform into machines, vehicles and other familiar mechanical objects, as well as mimic organic lifeforms (Dinobots). Autobots typically transform into regular cars, trucks, or other road vehicles (automobiles) but some can transform into aircraft, military vehicles, communication devices, weapons, and even robotic animals. These Autobots are often grouped into special “teams” that have the suffix “-bot” at the end, such as in Dinobot (Decepticon groups’ names end in “-con”). The animalistic descendants of the Autobots are known as the Maximals.
As for the Decepticons, they can transform into machines, vehicles and other familiar mechanical objects, as well as mimic organic lifeforms (Insecticons). Decepticons typically transform into different aircraft, military vehicles, communication devices, weapons, and even robotic animals, unlike the Autobots, who mostly transform into regular vehicles. These Decepticons are often grouped into special “teams” that have the suffix “-con” at the end, such as in Constructicon (Autobot groups’ names end in “-bot”). The animalistic descendants of the Autobots are known as the Predacons.
And that concludes the story of the Transformers. Now let us answer the question.
Who would win?
Comparing the powers of today’s protagonists wouldn’t really make sense because the Transformers are so diverse and there’s so many of them that we highly doubt we could even do a proper analysis in a lifetime. They both wield powerful weapons, with Voltron being unusually fast and agile for his size, while the Transformers – as we all know – can transform into different vehicles, objects and weapons and also combine into larger robots.
This question can be approached from two points of view.
From the first point of view, we have Voltron fighting against all the Transformers at once. Despite being enormously strong and fast – i.e., designed to fight multiple enemies at once – Voltron would hardly be able to defeat all the Transformers due to the sheer number of his enemies. He could hold his own for some time, but would eventually fall because even he doesn’t have an infinite amount of energy and stamina. Plus, there are some pretty powerful Transformers and if they all united forces against Voltron, they would be able to defeat him.
As for the other situation, it involved Voltron fighting individual Transformers. Here, Voltron would be able to defeat most Transformers, with only a few exceptions who would be able to challenge Voltron, but not necessarily defeat him. Any of the city-bots, such as Trypticon or Fortress Maximus, would be able to hold their own against Voltron in a fight, as well as Metroplex. Also, some smaller groups like the Dinobots would also probably be able to hold their own against Voltron. As for some of the individual Transformers who could certainly defeat Voltron because their powers transcend all the usual ones, they are the Thirteen Primes and are among the strongest Transformers in history. The same goes for Unicron and Primus.
And that concludes our story of Voltron and the Transformers. As you could see, Voltron would lose against all the Transformers at once, but could defeat most of them individually, save for the extremely powerful Transformers with – most of them – god-like abilities.
And that’s it for today. We hope you had fun reading this and that we helped solve this dilemma for you. See you next time and don’t forget to follow us!
If you want to see other ‘Who Would Win‘ scenarios follow our link