With the growing age, it would be impossible for you to take off some spare time for movies. Still, some movies are not only worth spending your time on but also help you offer a lot of food for thought for the rest of your life. Interstellar is the best one in this regard. Christopher Nolan has a lot to offer for the “Interstellar” fans.
There are plenty of movies available for interstellar fans. Christopher Nolan is one of the top and well-known directors who love to mess with the mind of viewers. Movies like that one are incomparable due to their unique features and story. The best mind-bending movies like Interstellar are given below.
35 Best Mind-Bending Movies Like Interstellar
People are finding a new way to save their planet from extinction. There are serious apprehensions that the resources will deplete soon. That would bring havoc to humanity. Interstellar movies are aimed at finding a new world for humans. Scientists are working on finding a new planet capable of accommodating a large number of humans.
In this article, I will tell you about the best 35 movies that interstellar fans like. These movies also reflect the brain prowess of their spectators.
Here is the list of 35 best mind-bending movies like Interstellar. You will find these movies morally excellent and full of life lessons. You will learn about these movies in detail.
1. The Fountain (2006)
The Fountain is a movie that has multiples stories hidden in it. You will find this movie a graveyard of secrets. The fountain is full of suspense, actions, thrills, and emotions. Let’s find out the exact story of this Interstellar movie.
- In this movie, a man (Hugh Jackman) is trying to save the life of his love (Rachel Weisz). Hugh was in search of immortality.
- There are three main characters in the fountain: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, and a traveler.
- The film is a mix of mortality and love. Hugh wanted to save her beloved from cancer.
- You will find the traveler immersed in a journey to find the lost love.
2. Source Code (2011)
Source Code is another movie that Christopher has made for its viewers. Here, a Helicopter pilot, Colter Stevens, leads the story. What is the story behind Source Code?
- Colter was a military captain. He went on a mission to cherish and experience the last few minutes of a horrific terrorist’s life.
- Colter’s ultimate mission was to find out the reasons and effects of the bombing attacks.
- You will also see that Colter also tried to determine the time and location for the next bombing attack.
- The movie is all about saving humanity from the deadly attacks that have become a part of the past.
- Finally, Colter realized that he could alter the unfavorable events with several mind-bending ideas.
3. Looper (2012)
Looper is a mind-bending movie that will make you awe with its events and story.
In this movie, you will see that the looper (Joe) can execute the victims sent to their past time by the terrific mobs. Here, the looper is paying through his nose for his deeds. The moviemakers have also revealed that there would be time-travel machines shortly. Those machines (loopers) will act according to your demands.
Everything was going well until the mobs decided to send Joe as their target into the past. What happened next is top-secret for you. To learn about the end, you will need to watch the whole movie.
4. Cloud Atlas (2012)
The movie revolves around the six generations. All the generations tried a lot to explore the impacts of human actions on the life of their beloved ones. These generations wanted to find out the reason behind the contemporary world and its implications on human lives.
You will also learn about how an act of kindness turns into a revolution after centuries. The story consists of six different events of history. You will also find out the overall impacts of human actions on their people.
5. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Blade Runner is a kind of science fiction film that has proved worth watching. What is the story of Blade runner?
- The story behind this detective film revolves around a leading character.
- Here, Ryan Gosling, a blade runner, aimed at wiping out the very existence of all those people who wanted to change the world order.
- Ryan disclosed the secrets behind the mission of those people who tried to threaten the world. Ryan succeeded in his mission.
- His success made him move ahead to solve the other significant problems.
- Ryan also tried to find out the first blade runner, Rick Deckard, who has lost almost thirty years ago.
6. Memento (2000)
Memento is another big hit of the Christopher Nolan. Memento gained much name and fame because of its story.
- Here, the story revolves around a man. The man is on a mission to find the killer of his wife. This thing made him unable to make some new memories.
- Leonard was the man who went around nook and corner of the world to find his wife’s killer.
- Leonard was smoothly playing according to his mission, but a significant hurdle put a pause on his journey.
- Leonard lost his memory. The worst thing about his memory loss was the fact that he started forgetting the current past.
- Leonard knew what happened before his accident. But, he was unable to recall what happened an hour ago.
- That thing made Leonard’s journey a bit complicated.
7. 12 Monkeys (2015)
12 Monkey is one of the famous science fiction movies. 12 Monkey is an Interstellar movie in which you which see how a person traveled back in time.
The story revolves around James Cole. James Cole is the leading actor in this mind-bending Interstellar movie. Let’s learn about the mission of James Cole in this movie.
James was living in the 2030s and aimed at living life back in the 1990s. James is also destined to gather information regarding a newborn plague. People believed that this nascent plague would bring havoc to the very existence of humanity. But, James’s journey was complicated because of a lack of cooperation from the medical gatekeepers.
8. The Cell (2000)
The Cell is a mysterious movie that is one of the best sci-fi movies around the globe.
Here, the story revolves around a psychologist (Catherine Deane) who aimed at finding a serial killer. Catherine tried his utmost to find the whereabouts of the last victim of the killer. Saving the life of that victim was the ultimate aim behind the mission of a psychologist.
Catherine was famous for his supernatural abilities, such as reading the minds of unconscious persons. Catherine could experiment through a new transcendental science.
9. Shutter Island (2010)
Shutter Island is a story of two partners. Federal Marshall Teddy Daniels and his new partner Chuck Aule have the central role in this Interstellar movie. Both of them went on a mission at Shutter Island. The aim behind their mission was to find out the missing patient (Rachel Solando) in a government-run criminal institution.
Daniels and Aule have started investigating accordingly. Solando has killed her three kids. She went to that criminal institution. But, all of a sudden, she was nowhere. Daniels was also suffering from the death of her beloved wife and the after-effects of World War II.
During the journey to Shutter Island, both have realized that their journey is full of hurdles. Daniels and Aule also found that something is wrong with their investigation. And soon, they realized that the federal institute is hampering their investigation.
That thing compelled Daniels and Aule to disclose the hidden mystery of Shutter Island.
10. Tenet (2020)
Supposition lies at the heart of Christopher Nolan’s movies. Such is the case with Tenet (2020). In this movie, supposition turns out to be real science fiction in the long run. What happens in Tenet? Let’s get to know about it.
- Like most of the other Interstellar movies, Tenet has the same story.
- Here, a secret agent aimed at stopping future attacks that will be destructive for humanity.
- The secret agent wanted to divert the flow of time to push the destruction of the world aside.
- Tenet stands for the organization or the platform through which the secret agent fulfilled his mission of time diversion.
11. The Matrix (1999)
The Matrix is one of the famous movies of Christopher Nolan. The Matrix is a kind of simulated reality. The movie has its roots in the future time. The story revolves around this thing that soon humanity will be under a trap of the Matrix.
- Artificial intelligence has gained immense importance due to its endless innovations and discoveries. The matrix is also implying the same technology.
- Intelligent machines have created the Matrix to alter the course of human lives.
- The purpose behind using the machines was to distract humans and use their bodies as the source of energy.
- The movie ends with the rebellion in which the hacker under a computer programmer reveals the truth.
12. The Game (1997)
The game is again a masterpiece of Christopher Nolan, who tried his best to lead the film industry with his mind-bending movies like Interstellar.
- The story is all about a successful banker (Nicholas Van Orton). On the eve of Nicholas’s birthday, his brother gifted a strange offer to Nicholas.
- Nicholas found the gift odd. The offer was to accept and join the Consumer Recreation Services (CRS).
- Initially, Nicholas pondered over his brother’s offer. But later on, Nicholas accepted the offer.
- Everything was smooth during the initial days. But soon, the game turned into a personal thing.
- Everything has been exposed. There were no secrets about Nicholas’s life.
- Orton, Nicholas’s brother, finally tried his level best to solve his brother’s problem.
13. Split (2016)
If you are looking for a suspense-filled movie, then this movie is the perfect choice for you. Split has its roots in one of the most deadly ills of society, Child abuse. What happens in Split will make you wonder. Let’s find out.
- The leading character of Split is a man that has different personalities. You will see that the man (Kevin) has 24 different personalities.
- Kevin uses all these personalities to abduct and lock many girls in an underground basement facility.
- Soon, you will realize the reason behind Kevin’s actions and mission. Kevin has a dissociative personality disorder. That disorder made him strange.
14. Brazil (1985)
Do you want to watch a movie that would be one of the best science-fiction movies? Well, you have got your covered. Brazil is an Interstellar movie that focuses on a strong character. What happens in this movie is as follows:
- Here, a low-ranking employee leads the movie. Sam Lowry was a bureaucrat whose only aim in life was to find the woman of her dreams.
- Sam becomes the enemy of the state. The reason behind Sam’s anti-state movements has a strong relationship with the women of his dream.
- As soon as Sam pursues his aim, he confronts the woman of his dream, Jill Layton.
- Sam wanted to rule over the world. He wanted to fly all around the globe. But all of the efforts ended in smoke.
- The movie ends with the severe allegations for Sam. Sam was found to be a victim of the counter-productivity of the government.
15. Inception (2010)
Inception is a different kind of movie that Christopher Nolan has offered to Interstellar fans. The story revolves around a thief (Dom Cobb).
- Dom can read the mind of subconscious people during their dreams. Sam got a lot of fame and name due to this extraordinary ability.
- Due to this ability, Dom has to sacrifice his loved ones as well.
- Dom gets an offer to get rid of the crimes he has committed during his whole career.
- Saito offered Dom to steal the mind of a person. Saito wanted to get access to the mind of his competitor’s son. So, Inception got the central position of this mind-bending Interstellar movie.
16. Dark City (1998)
Dark city is another super-hit movie like Interstellar. What you will see in this movie is as follows. Let’s have a glimpse at the brief story of the dark city.
- John Murdoch is a strong character of Dark City. One day, John awakens in a hotel room.
- John came to know that there are serious allegations against him.
- John was fond of killing a lot of innocent people. But the problem was that John has no idea whether he has committed all those murders or not.
- During investigations, John also came to know that there is an underworld crew in the city.
- The crew had committed many murders. The same crew has put the lives of many innocent people at risk. The crew was famous with the name of “Strangers” throughout the city.
- That thing made Christopher Nolan name the movie “Dark City” in this modern world.
17. The Prestige (2006)
The prestige is a psychological thriller film like Interstellar that revolves around two close friends. The story is unique when it comes to comparing it with other Interstellar movies.
- Here, two close friends, Robert Angier and Alfred Borden turned into a hostile relationship. Both were stage musicians and close friends of each other.
- Soon, their friendship turned into hatred. The reason behind that hatred was the stage illusion.
- One of the two friends created the best stage illusion. That thing made the other friend feel a more competitive environment.
- Soon, the competition turned into hostility, and both have started using dangerous tactics. The ultimate aim was to get more fame.
18. Primer (2004)
Abe and Aaron were the two intellectual engineers. Both have started working on making an error-checking technology. With the discovery of error-checking technology, Abe and Aaron decided to make a time machine.
Abe and Aaron made a time machine with the help of two of their mutual friends. But soon, both had to pay through their nose for the discovery of the time machine.
Not only did they invent the time machine, but they also tried a lot to transport humans into a device. That thing made Abe and Aaron proud. After that, both had to face severe consequences of their discoveries.
19. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A space Odyssey is a science-fiction movie that has its roots in space exploration. The film is unique for the historical background that the author has portrayed in it.
Here, Dr. Dave Bowman, along with the other astronauts, undergoes a mysterious mission. After the discovery of an alien monolith, all the astronauts mentioned above went on a space mission.
Although the movie didn’t get much appreciation on the human level but became famous as a space movie, HAL was the computer part of their space mission. But soon, HAL started behaving strangely.
You will also learn from this movie that human’s made machines are not perfect. Creating machines can put your life at risk.
20. Donnie Darko (2001)
Donnie Darko has been credited with the best sci-fi and the best horror movie like Interstellar.
During a night of 1988s, Donnie met with a rabbit. Donnie came out of his house and kept walking until a rabbit came that way. The rabbit has informed Donnie that the world will end within the coming 28 days.
Without thinking a lot, Donnie came back to the house and there he saw a broken engine. Being a thought-provoking movie, there would be something wrong either with Donnie or with his vision. The reason could be the mental illness of Donnie, or the world soon ends within 28 days.
21. Vanilla Sky
The vanilla sky is a science-fiction movie that revolves around an injury. Here, David Aames faces a car crash. That left David with a lot of scars on his face. The incident made David ponder over their real-life existence. As the name implies, David had a mix of feelings of love, emotion, and pain.
22. Black Swan
A black swan is a story of a passionate dancer. Nina gives her best when it comes to dancing in every facet of life. The director of “Swan Lake” took an audition for the upcoming movie actresses. The director found Nina a perfect fit for the White Swan and Lily for the Black Swan.
What happens next? Soon, both the dancers faced severe animosity. Both have started hating each other. But with time, Nina and Lily turned their enmity into friendship.
The enemy is a kind of best Interstellar movie. The movie is popular among several Interstellar fans.
In this movie, a professor (Adam) from a renowned college finds a person with the same looks as the professor. After that, Adam started living the life of his like-looks man secretly. All these things happened because Adam has already tracked the doppelganger.
24.The Jacket (2005)
The jacket is the best Interstellar movie in which a veteran (Jack) has suffered a lot. The war veteran has suffered from amnesia. Due to the illness, Jack was in a hospital. There Jack went through a lot of experiments on the name of treatment.
Jack went through mysterious injections and was covered in a jacket. During that time of his life, Jack found himself in a world where he can travel to the future.
25. Mr. Nobody (2009)
Mr. Nobody is all about a small boy who has confusion with whom he should live. The movie got fame due to its unique story.
Here, Jared Leto (perhaps the last mortal human) will have the ability to reflect on past life. Leto will also think about how his life could be during his childhood, adult age, and later on.
26. Dead Man’s Shoe (2004)
Dead Man’s shoe is a story about the life of two brothers. Richard aimed at finding the reasons behind the sufferings of his beloved brother (Anthony). Soon Richard finds the person responsible and started investigating. With time, Richard came to know about the involvements and the mysterious activities of his brother.
27. Arrival (2016)
The movie, Arrival needs no introduction among the Interstellar fans. As the name suggests, an alien team has arrived on the planet.
Arrival is all about a spaceship that came on Earth with tons of aliens inside it. Louise Banks is a linguistic expert who has been given the responsibility to learn about the language of all those aliens.
28. Gravity (2013)
Gravity is one of the best and mind-bending movies like Interstellar. What happens in this Interstellar movie is as follows:
- In this movie, you will see that a medical engineer goes into space for the very first time.
- The story revolves around two main characters. Ryan Stone went to the space as the first-ever medical engineer.
- While, at the same time, another famous actor (Matt Kowalski) is all set to avail the last chance before his retirement.
- Suddenly, a disaster strikes their space shuttle. As a result, both of them face a lot of difficulties.
- There were no connections with the Earth.
- Ryan and Matt want to survive, but they were left with no chances of their survival.
- As the name implies, they continuously looked for gravity. Gravity was like a ray of hope in their difficult time.
- But they spiraled deeper each time and moved away from their planet.
- As there were no hopes for their survival, both have decided to explore and venture into space.
- They did so as the only source for their rescue.
29. Moon (2009)
Moon is a fiction film, and its story revolves around an astronaut. Sam Bell was the only astronaut who lived on the moon for about three years. The movie is all about oil resources. Helium-3 was the replacement of the traditional oil resources. But scientists find it boring to extract this oil resource.
- To facilitate this thing, an astronaut, Sam Bell, has been given the responsibility to make this process easy. During his stay on the moon, he finds a way to remove the problems of his planet.
- Unfortunately, Sam falls prey to some diseases such as hallucinations, headache, and severe pain.
- He also met with an accident that made him live a new life.
- Sam was living the early periods of his life. That accident was a mystery for him.
- He wanted to solve the matter before the arrival of his crew to the Moon.
30. Event Horizon (1997)
Event Horizon is the name of a spacecraft that has lost many years ago. The movie depicts that the missing spacecraft reappears all of a sudden.
After the spacecraft reappeared, a team has started investigating the empty vessel to find the reasons behind its vanishing. The responsible team successfully found the reasons. And as a result, the team concluded that the spacecraft still contains the signs of the past time.
31. Sunshine (2007)
The movie needs no introduction as the name itself suggests the central idea behind the movie. Sunshine is one of the mind-bending Interstellar movies. Here, the story is all about saving the Sun.
The selected team has started working on its mission. But soon, time takes a U-turn. All the members of the group met with an accident that put their lives at risk.
32. Solaris (2002)
Solaris is famous for its mind-bending plot. Here, the story revolves around a bizarre planet. The planet can read the minds of different people and provide them with the things that they have lost in the past. Here, a troubled psychologist aimed at investigating a specific crew.
33. Time Lapse (2014)
The movie is all about the life of three friends. Here, the three friends got crazy to live a life of their future. All the friends make a photo machine that can show the events of their future in pictures.
The three friends were glad to see that they have the ability to look into their future. But soon, their dreams turned into nightmares. Several dangerous and breath-taking photos begin to develop from the photo machine. This thing has made their life full of problems.
34. The Imitation Game (2014)
The imitation game is all about imitation. But what is the actual story behind this Interstellar movie?
Alan Turing is the leading actor of the imitation game. Alan joins a team to help crack the codes. For this purpose, Alan joins a German mathematician team for cracking different codes.
With the team’s help, Alan devised a machine that can crack various codes in the German language.
The movie (The imitation game) is famous for its exciting story and as a mind-bending sci-fi Interstellar film. The popularity chart of the imitation game has started climbing the hills from the onset of its release date.
35. The Maritan (2015)
The Maritan is a sci-fi movie that is all about a stranded person. During a space mission to Mars, Mark Watney was stranded on the planet. All of the crew members left the planet by thinking that the storm has vanished, Mark.
After that, the real sufferings and explorations became a part of Mark’s life. Mark started to live there. But, the ultimate aim of Mark’s life was to find a way to get back to his planet.