Trump Applauds Kimmel Suspension, Calls on NBC to Axe Meyers and Fallon

Depositphotos
Our Editorial Policy.

Share:

ABC has taken Jimmy Kimmel Live! off the air after backlash over remarks the late-night host made about the death of conservative activist Charlie Kirk. The network has not said the show is canceled but announced it will be paused indefinitely.

The decision followed a move by Nexstar Media Group, which owns more than 30 ABC affiliates in major cities. Nexstar said it would not air the program after Kimmel’s comments, calling them offensive.

In a statement, the company said it “strongly objects to recent comments made by Mr. Kimmel concerning the killing of Charlie Kirk and will replace the show with other programming in its ABC-affiliated markets.”

Kirk was shot and killed on September 10 during a debate in Utah. Police later arrested a suspect. Kimmel addressed the story on his show, blaming conservatives for trying to spin the killing for political purposes. “We hit some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang trying to characterize this kid who killed Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them,” he said.

Kimmel also mocked Donald Trump’s response when asked about the tragedy, after Trump shifted the subject to a new ballroom at the White House.

Trump quickly celebrated ABC’s decision. Posting to his social media platform while visiting England, he wrote: “Great News for America: The ratings challenged Jimmy Kimmel Show is CANCELLED. Congratulations to ABC for finally having the courage to do what had to be done.”

Via Truth Social

He then turned his attention to other late-night hosts, writing: “Kimmel has ZERO talent, and worse ratings than even Colbert, if that’s possible. That leaves Jimmy and Seth, two total losers, on Fake News NBC. Their ratings are also horrible. Do it NBC!!! President DJT.”

The White House’s official X account later boosted Trump’s post by sharing a screenshot along with his picture.

Support for the move also came from FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, a Trump appointee. He wrote on X: “I want to thank Nexstar for doing the right thing. Local broadcasters have an obligation to serve the public interest. While this may be an unprecedented decision, it is important for broadcasters to push back on Disney programming that they determine falls short of community.”

This is not the first time Trump has cheered the removal of a late-night figure. After CBS dropped The Late Show with Stephen Colbert earlier this year, Trump praised the decision and predicted Kimmel would be next.

At the time, he wrote: “I absolutely love that Colbert got fired. His talent was even less than his ratings. I hear Jimmy Kimmel is next. Has even less talent than Colbert! Greg Gutfeld is better than all of them combined, including the Moron on NBC who ruined the once great Tonight Show.”

Via Truth Social

For now, Kimmel’s future at ABC is uncertain. The network is facing major pressure as political fights spill directly into entertainment programming.

Have something to add? Let us know in the comments!

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments