Minecraft Optifine is one of the biggest and most popular optimization mods. It’s a full support framework that allows you to visually improve Minecraft without too much hassle or performance loss, but it also allows you to visually change your skin and add capes. Capes are popular due to their limitless customization options, and this guide will teach you how to change your Optfine cape.
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in October 2023 and reflects the most up-to-date mechanics in the game.
How to get an Optifine cape in Minecraft?
Capes are one of the most common customization options in Minecraft. They are available through official channels, through various mods, as well as through frameworks such as Optifine. Getting a cape in Optifine is easy, and all you need to do is install Optifine from the official source, which would be the Optifine site. And make a donation to the Optifine team. By donating at least $10, you will have access to the Optifine cape that can be enabled and disabled according to your wish. Optifine also has a cape editor that you can use to create your own custom-made cape
Changing your Optifine cape is done via the settings menu
If you’ve already donated and unlocked the Optifine capes, you can always enable, disable, or change them via the settings menu, to do it, follow these steps:
- Launch the game.
- From the in-game or main menu, go to “options.”
- Once there, navigate to “Skin Customization.”
- Go to Optifine Cape.
- Go to Cape Editor.
If you want to create your own custom cape you can always do it via the custom cape editor. It’s going to open in your browser and not within the game itself and it looks like this:
You can also use alternative capes editors but in that case, you’re going to have to upload the PNG yourself within the game to make it work.
Are Optifine capes free?
Optfine Capes are not free. You generally need to make a donation to get access to a cape and to create one. There are several ways to get free capes, but the occasions are generally rare. The most common way to get a free cape is to install a mod. However, these types of mods are generally visible only to you in single-player mods, the difference with Optfine and official Minecraft Capes is that all players see them if they are running the same version of the game as you are.
Alternative ways to get capes…
If you want to have a cape from the official source and want everyone to see those capes, there are several ways to get them:
- Buy them from the official sources – Minecraft Marketplace has tons of skins and cape packs that will allow you to customize your character.
- Watch out for special promotions – every now and then, Minecraft will have a promotion that comes with a cape. For example, players who migrated their account from Mojang to Microsoft got a special Migrator cape.
- Attend Minecon Events – Minecon is not cheap, but you can earn a special cape by attending the convention.
- Minecraft Realms promotions: Some capes are given to players who subscribe to Minecraft Realms or participate in specific Realms-related activities.
Have something to add? Let us know in the comments below!