Jujutsu Kaisen has some of the best fights in the world of modern anime. The powers of the characters really come to the forefront and with such great animation, we can only marvel at what Jujutsu Kaisen has to offer. We at Fiction Horizon have already talked about the Domain Expansion, the strongest technique from the series, but it is not the only one. One of these powerful techniques is the Ten Shadows Technique used by Megumi Fushiguro and in this article, we are going to present and explain that technique to you.
The Ten Shadows Technique is an inherited technique passed down in the Zenin Family. Using shadows as an intermediary, this technique allows the user to summon ten different shikigami. Although a Zenin Family technique, its most famous user is Megumi Fushiguro, a descendant of the Zenin family born outside of the main branch.
In the rest of this article, we are going to tell you all the details about the Ten Shadows Technique. You’re going to find out all the necessary details about the technique, how it manifests, and what it can do. We’re also going to answer some additional, yet related questions about the technique that will help you understand it better.
What is the Ten Shadows Technique and why is it so powerful?
The Ten Shadows Technique is an inherited technique from the Zenin clan, which, through the shadows, can summon ten different shikigami. The known possessors of this ability are Megumi Fushiguro and the head of the Edo period Zenin clan or Keicho (16th century). The actual process of creating a pet is relatively unknown.
It is implied that the user will need to mold their own cursed energy to form the shikigami, and to achieve this they must have in mind a model or blueprint of how they would like their creation to look. After its creation, the shikigami must undergo a purification or exorcism process so that the user can take control of it.
To use a shikigami, the user must make certain hand signs and use shadow to form and summon their creation without the need for a charm or talisman. The pets created take on the characteristics of animals such as dogs, snakes, birds, toads, and elephants, with certain symbols or patterns on certain parts of their bodies.
They can differ significantly in size and capacity. Since the user forms the shikigami from their own cursed energy and with a desired aspect, the shikigami can be controlled for a variety of uses beyond simple bane exorcism, to monitoring and scouting. Once the shikigami has been created and summoned, it can be dispelled and re-summoned as many times as needed.
Even when destroyed, the occult energy that formed the shikigami will return to the one who created it and be renewed into a new shikigami, which will take on certain characteristics of the old shikigami. Created pets can be injured or killed. Once destroyed, they cannot be summoned again. There are also many limitations imposed on the summoner. For example, the user can only summon a limited number of shikigami at a time, in the case of Megumi the latter can only summon two shikigami at a time.
The Chimera Shadow Garden is the Domain Expansion of Megumi associated with the Ten Shadows Technique. The environment generated by the domain is a large area flooded with a large amount of fluid shadow creating a totally dark and negative space. In this territory, Megumi is able to summon multiple familiars and even create duplicates of himself from the shadows.
When the Domain is deployed, Megumi is able to hide in an enemy’s shadow and attack from her blind spot. He developed his Domain when he was on the verge of death facing a Finger-holder. Freely imagining herself overstepping her bounds, Megumi unfolded her territory for the first time, but he didn’t have much control over her energy to be able to fully manifest it. Currently, Megumi can only partially materialize his Domain.
List of Ten Shadows Technique Shikigami
By using the technique, Megumi can manifest the following Shikigami:
- Divine Dogs: Megumi summons two shikigami hounds, one white and black, that hunt and devour Curses. Later, after the White Hound was destroyed by the S-Class Curs during the Fearsome Womb Arc, Megumi invested the Divine Dogs’ abilities and dark energy into a stronger version of the Black Dog, which is called Divine Dog: Totality.
- Nue: An owl-like shikigami that can fly. Tough and powerful enough to carry a human, its offensive abilities are primarily dive attacks from the sky.
- Great Serpent: A giant snake shikigami that can be used as a surprise attack coming out of the ground and binding the opponent. This pet was destroyed by Sukuna.
- Toad: A large toad, using its tongue to pin opponents down and hold them down. Megumi also used a toad to save Nobara and save herself from him.
- Max Elephant: An elephant shikigami capable of releasing a large amount of water from its trunk. Megumi can only use its base form as it consumes a lot of Cursed Energy.
- Rabbit Escape: A large number of bunny pets that distract the enemy, so the user can evade them.
- The Well’s Unknown Abyss: By using a combination of two pets, Nlouded and Toad, the Toads gain wings as well as the ability to fly.
- Eight-Handled Sword Divergent Sila Divine General Mahoraga: The most powerful pet that can be summoned via the Ten Shadows Technique. So far, not a single Ten Shadow Technique user has been able to exorcise and control Makora, and Megumi is no exception.
As the number suggests, these are not all of the shikigami that Megumi should be able to summon, but only the ones that have been revealed so far. Megumi is a powerful Jujutsu Sorcerer and we think that the remaining Shadows, that are probably stronger than the ones we’ve revealed so far, will be revealed in the future. It seems logical.