We have already talked about some groups and organizations in One Piece, so now it is time to talk about the Baroque Works organization, alongside the Marines, the first major organization to be revealed in the series before the lore expanded significantly. Baroque Works was important in the beginning, and in this article, you are going to find out everything you need and want to know about this criminal syndicate.
Baroque Works was actually a powerful criminal syndicate established and run by the powerful Warlord of the Sea, Sir Crocodile, who had eaten the Suna Suna no Mi. The principal goal of Baroque Works was to destabilize and take over the Kingdom of Arabasta and, by proxy, to steal the plans for the Ancient Weapon Pluton. This group of mercenaries and assassins committed numerous acts of sabotage, espionage, and violence to achieve that. The group had a hierarchical structure and was led by Sir Crocodile, with the other members being organized according to the organization’s hierarchy. Before joining Luffy’s Straw Hats crew, Nico Robin was also a former group member.
The rest of this article will be divided into two major sections. The first one will deal with the history of Baroque Works, while the other one will tell you everything you need to know about its members. We will provide you with a detailed and thorough analysis of the whole group and its history, which is why this article will be your ultimate go-to place for everything you need to know about Baroque Works. Of course, spoilers will be present in this article, so be careful how you actually approach it.
The history of Baroque Works is quite intriguing
The organization was founded some fourteen to four years before the narrative begins. Four years before the start of the narrative, Crocodile met Nico Robin, and the latter became part of Baroque Works. Her ability to read Poneglyphs meant that she became Crocodile’s partner, so much so that she was the only one who knew who was behind Mr. Zero’s name. The following year, they used a substance that caused a drought on the island to blame it on the king.
Two years before the start of the narrative, Mr. Seven went to the eastern sea to persuade the famous bounty hunter Roronoa Zoro to join the organization. The swordsman, however, said that he would accept only because he was named its leader.
Mr. Seven, annoyed by the interlocutor’s arrogance, attacked him, so Zoro killed him. The same year, some organization members caused an incident in Nanohana that caused false and defamatory rumors to spread rapidly regarding the king of Arabasta, Nefertari Cobra, to provoke a rebellion within the kingdom.
Vivi, Igaram, and Karl thus infiltrated the Baroque Works to gather some information. Following Miss All Sunday, who let them, they discovered the true identity of Mr. Zero. The latter ordered Mr. Five and Miss Valentine to investigate them, discovering that they were the princess of Arabasta and the captain of the kingdom’s guards. Many Billions were infiltrated into the rebels’ ranks and the royal army.
The organization consisted of two thousand people; some high-level members were famous bounty hunters from Heaven who possessed the powers of a devil fruit. The latter also had sizes on their heads, indicating their dangerousness. All the top members of the organization had been assigned a code name that others used to identify them. Men had a codename containing a number, while women had the name of certain days and holidays.
The weaker members acted as bounty hunters and accumulated money, which was used to finance the operation to conquer the kingdom of Arabasta. These bounty hunters believed that Baroque Works aimed to found an ideal nation and that the better they served the cause, the higher their social status would be within that nation.
Each agent was paired with an assistant, except Mr. Two. Each pair was defined by the number used by the male member of the pair; the lower the number, the stronger the torque.
Below them were two thousand subordinates called Billions and Millions. The former were two hundred people employed by official agents and were to be given a code name in case a higher-level role became vacant. Many of them infiltrated the ranks of the rebels and the royal army. The Millions were instead eighteen hundred and acted under the command of the Frontier Agents. These members also had codenames but didn’t follow predefined patterns.
The members of Baroque Works
In this section, we will present the members of Baroque Works, individually or by grouping them based on their role in the hierarchy.
Sir Crocodile, the leader
Sir Crocodile is the ruthless leader of Baroque Works and also a member of the Seven Warlords of the Sea. He has very high self-esteem and strongly believes in his own strength, which always leads him to treat anyone from top to bottom; he hardly loses his temper and always demonstrates great intelligence and attention in every aspect of his plans. He ate the Logia-type Suna Suna no Mi, which allows him to turn into sand and make himself intangible to everything but liquids; the fruit also allows him to create storms and blades of sand and to dry up everything he touches by absorbing its liquids. Instead of a left hand, he has a large golden hook that hides a powerful poison capable of causing heart failure.
Miss All Sunday
Miss All Sunday was actually Nico Robin, who would later join Luffy’s crew. Aside from being one of the higher-ranked members of Baroque Works, she was also highly intelligent, and the fact that she could read Poneglyphs, which were the main way to reach Pluton, made Crocodile value her very much. She was not happy at Baroque Works, though, and that is why she ultimately left. She ate the Hana Hana no Mi.
The officer agents were second in the hierarchy, immediately beneath Sir Crocodile and the administration. They consisted of the following agents:
- Mr. 1 (Daz Bones) is an assassin from the West Sea. Miss Doublefinger’s partner, after Crocodile, is the strongest male member of Baroque Works: before joining the organization, he had, in fact, gained such fame as to be nicknamed “the Killer.” He ate the Paramecia-type Supa Supa no Mi, which allowed him to turn his body into steel and make every part of it sharp.
- Miss Doublefinger (Zala), the owner of the Spider’s Cafe under the pseudonym Paola and the partner of Mr. 1. With the power of the Paramecia-type Toge Toge no Mi, is able to cover herself with sharp spikes. She mostly uses this power to create spikes with which to pierce opponents, but she can also use it to defend against opponents’ attacks and keep them at a distance.
- Mr. 2 Bon Kurei (Bentham), an okama and the only Officer without a partner. He wears flamboyant clothes and heavy makeup with lipstick and mascara. Mr. 2 ingested the Paramecia-type Mane Mane no Mi, which allows him to take on the features of a person he touched with his hand.
- Mr. 3 (Galdino) is a cunning and devious individual. He ingested the Paramecia-type Doru Doru no Mi, with which he can emit wax from his body at will, which he uses to create extremely resistant constructions and weapons.
- Miss Goldenweek (Marianne) has the appearance of a child and acts in tandem with Mr. 3. She always carries a palette and a brush with her, which she uses when she resorts to the Colors Trap, a hypnotic technique with which she exploits the realism of her colors to control the enemy’s mood.
- Mr. 4 (Babe) is a strong but extremely stupid man. He seems unable to think and often just does as his partner, Miss Merry Christmas, tells him. He hardly ever speaks, and when he does speak, he speaks very slowly, often in monosyllables.
- Miss Merry Christmas (Drophy) acts in the company of Mr. 4. She ate the Zoan-type Mogu Mogu no Mi, which allows her to transform into a human mole.
- Mr. 5 (Gem), Miss Valentine’s partner. He ate the Paramecia-type Bomu Bomu no Mi, thanks to which he can make any part of his body explosive; furthermore, he can swallow any explosive without taking any damage and seems immune to explosions.
- Miss Valentine (Mikita), Mr. 5’s partner. She ate the fruit Paramecia-type Kiro Kiro no Mi, which allows her to change her weight from minus a kilo to ten thousand kilos. When she lightens up, she flies and hovers in the air, but she can also attack from above by crushing the enemy.
The frontier agents are larger in number and are also lesser-ranked than the Officer Agents. Several of them have been revealed, but since their role isn’t all that big, we’ll just review them and their roles in the story. As far as the male members were concerned, we had Mr. 6 (who was never revealed), Mr. 7 (whose earlier iteration was not revealed, while the second was), Mr. 8 (actually Igaram), Mr. 9, Mr. 10 (revealed only via a sketch), Mr. 11, Mr. 12 (never revealed), and Mr. 66 (actually Gardar, who was revealed in a game).
The female members include Miss Mother’s Day (who was never revealed), Miss Father’s Day, Miss Monday, Miss Wednesday (who was actually Nefertari Vivi, the daughter of the King of Arabasta), Miss Tuesday (revealed only via a sketch), Miss Thursday (never revealed) and Miss Saturday (never revealed). This is, undoubtedly, an important group as far as the Baroque Works are concerned, but there is no need to go into too many details at this point in time.
Only two members of the Unluckies have been introduced to the series, both animals. The Unluckies were in charge of communication with Mr. 0, recording new threats, as well as punishing (executing) all members ranked Frontier agents and Bellow. One of them was an otter named Mr. 13, while the other was a female vulture named Miss Sunday.
The Billions were in a better position than the Millions, but they were still not among the highest-ranking members of Baroque Works. Only a handful have ever been identified, and they include Akumai, Mr. Mellow, Mr. Love, and Geronimo; two unnamed Billions have also been seen in the anime, while Kaiman has been introduced in a video game but not in the main series.
The Millions were the lowest-ranking members of Baroque Works, as we have explained above. There were many of them, but only some have been identified, and not all of them in the anime (some have also been shown in other derivative works). The most famous Million is Miss Catherina, who worked under Frontier Agents Mr. 8, Miss Monday, Mr. 9, and Miss Wednesday and was dressed as a nun. Mr. Beans and Mr. Shimizu also worked with her. There is also a guy named Hercules, but he appeared only in one video game, so his canon status is not completely clear at the moment.
The Baroque Works Syndicate had many animals as well as some other members whose position in the hierarchy cannot be determined. The latter are Black, Gabiel, and Gator, who did not appear in the main series. As for the animals, the best known one is Karoo, the duck, but we also have a turtle named Banchi, a dog named Lassoo, two pandas – Gross and Baroque Panda – a crocodile named Hompton, and the Erimaki Runners.