When Elden Ring was announced, we got to see Malenia, Blade of Miquella, who people immediately fell in love with because of her gorgeous design. The good news is that she is actually in the game and can be fought as an optional secret boss. She is also regarded as the most difficult boss in Elden Ring. So, where do you find Malenia In Elden Ring, and how do you beat her?
Malenia, Blade of Miquella, can be found in the Consecrated Snowfields. But you need to do plenty of different things to get to Malenia once you’re in the Consecrated Snowfields. To beat Malenia, you need a combination of skill, level, and proper equipment because there’s no easy way to beat her.
There is a reason why Malenia is regarded as the most difficult boss in Elden Ring. This character is incredibly difficult, and that means that you should only attempt to fight her when you are confident enough in your skills. That said, let’s take a look at how you can find Malenia while also exploring the best way to defeat her.
Where To Find Malenia, Blade Of Miquella, In Elden Ring?
Those who are strong and confident enough in Elden Ring might believe that they can now take on some of the strongest opponents the game has to offer. And arguably no other boss can stand up to what Malenia is capable of because she is regarded as the most difficult fight in the entire Elden Ring game.
But before you can even reach Malenia, you need to acquire the Secret Haligtree Medallion, which is split into two halves that you need to find. This is the first step to get to where Malenia is, as finding her may be a bit too dragging for some players.
First, you can get the right half of the medallion by going to the Lakeside Crystal Cave in the south portion of Liurnia of the Lakes. You can see this along the shoreline on your map. This dungeon will be full of different enemies that may be difficult to spot, and that’s where a torch might come in handy.
There will be a miniboss in this dungeon, and what you should do next is to leave through the new exit to go to the Slumbering Wolf’s Shack, where you will see a woman with a wolf. Talk to her, and she’ll mention something about the medallion.
From the entrance of the cave, head west until you reach a poison swamp. Go southwest from there to see a few wooden structures that you need to go to. Rest at the nearby Site of Grace and then head towards the structure to find a large pot that contains an NPC that will give you the right half of the medallion.
The left part of the medallion can be found in Castle Sol, which can be reached in the Mountaintop of the Giants. You need to first progress through the castle and beat Command Niall. Once you beat him, go to the rooftop located after his arena to find the left half of the medallion.
When you already have the two halves, go to the Grand Lift of Rold, which you used to get to the Mountaintops of the Giants. Present the Secret Haligtree Medallion to get to an area called the Consecrated Snowfield.
In the Consecrated Snowfield, what you need to do next is to go north until you find a place called Ordina, Liturgical Town. Just in the back part of the town, there will be a large staircase that leads to a door that you won’t be able to pass through for now. Head down the stairs and then right to find an evergaol, where you will need to light four fires.
Lighting all four of the fires will allow you to pass through the door we talked about. And you will now be transported to a different Ordina by going through the purple teleporter in that door.
Continue through Elphael’s streets due northwest until you reach an Erdtree Guardian and two Elphael Knights that are guarding a door. You can choose to kill them or run past them to find the Elphael Inner Wall Site of Grace. There will be a door that you need to pass through, as you should head southeast to find a swamp.
Continue moving southeast through the swamp until you get to exit it. You will be able to see an elevator that will take you to a Site of Grace. Exiting the door in that room will lead you to the fight against Malenia.
How To Beat Malenia, Blade Of Miquella, In Elden Ring?
The bad news when fighting Malenia is that you need to be leveled up high enough to be able to beat her. There is no way around that fact, as you have to be strong and skilled enough to even stand a chance against her. That means that players who are probably below level 100 should skip her fight for now.
On top of that, there is no easy way to cheese your way through her. You need to fight Malenia, Blade of Miquella, fair and square because she was designed to be a boss that you need to be skilled enough to beat.
- It is important to dodge Malenia’s attacks because she drains life from you. She heals herself whenever she damages you, and that means that getting hit is a big mistake. On top of that, make sure you have enough stamina because you need to be able to keep on dodging her in this fight, considering that she often releases a flurry of attacks.
- You can use a shield to block her attacks and to reduce the amount of healing she gets from you. Her attacks are difficult to dodge, and that means that some players may be able to get through those attacks by blocking them.
- The good news is that Malenia can be overpowered by strength-type players who hit her several times in succession because her poise tends to be low. However, avoid hitting her when she is unleashing bigger attacks because you won’t be able to interrupt them.
- You can stagger Malenia when you hit her enough. When you get a chance to do so, you should hit her with a critical riposte whenever she is stunned.
- Bleed-type players should be able to find success in Malenia. That’s why players that use dexterity and arcane builds and weapons that cause bleeding should be able to find success against her.
- Your best friend in this game is a fully upgraded Mimic Tear Spirit Ash Summon. That’s because you are basically fighting her with two of you.
- Make sure that you keep Preserving Boluses with you because Malenia causes Scarlet Rot during her second phase.
- In phase 1, Malenia’s attacks are usually melee combo moves that consist of fast series of slashes and sweeping attacks. You can dodge them when you time your attacks right but make sure you don’t roll early.
- The moment you see her prosthetic arm sparking, that’s when you should be ready to dodge because she is going to set up a special attack. This is an attack that you cannot interrupt, and that means the only thing you need to do is to dodge. Dodge every attack in this special move, especially the final thrust that can be very painful.
- Malenia can also grapple you with her prosthetic arm. She is likely to kill you instantly when she ends up grabbing you.
- If you see Malenia hovering in the air, stay away from her and prepare yourself for a dodge. She will eventually launch several slashes at you. You might think that there’s an opening for a counterattack but don’t do so because she will continue to attack more after taking a break. Wait until she lands on the ground and finishes the entire combo. Keep on avoiding these attacks because you probably won’t be able to see an opening for a counterattack.
- Probably the best way to attack her is when you successfully avoid a special move. And when you get a few good hits at her, she may end up getting staggered because of her low poise.
- It should be a good idea to charge up for a heavy attack while she is still getting up after you staggered her and landed a riposte.
- Keep on dodging and attacking until you drop her health gauge to zero. However, the battle isn’t over yet because she will unleash her true form for phase 2 when she soars into the air. This is an even tougher battle than phase 1, which is already incredibly challenging.
- In phase 2, Malenia will crash into you and will create a large scarlet flower. All you need to do here is to run away because the flower will inflict Scarlet Rot when it blooms.
- After the flower goes away, Malenia will repeat using the patterns in phase 1. But there will be a few new moves that are simple enough to dodge. Still, the attack pattern stays mostly the same.
- There will be instances when she will try to hit a big swipe that will create a Scarlet Rot explosion. You just need to dodge both of these attacks.
- Malenia will also fly into the air and launch familiars at you. Dodge the familiars and make sure that you don’t get hit because they will inflict Scarlet Rot.
- In the second phase, even her flurry of attacks from the air inflicts scarlet rot as well. Just make sure to use the same dodge tactics you used in phase 1 whenever she’s in the air.
- When Malenia uses her flower move again, use that as an opening to get as far away as possible so that you can heal.
- Just like in phase 1, your only opening is when she uses her special moves. The window for your attacks is mostly the same as in phase 1.
What Do You Get By Beating Malenia, Blade Of Miquella?
If you did manage to beat Malenia, you would get Malenia’s Great Rune, 480,000 runes, and the Remembrance of the Rot Goddess, which is a tradable item that you can bring to Enia over at the Roundtable Hold.
Trading the Remembrance of the Rot Goddess will allow you to choose between Hand of Malenia, which is a powerful katana, or Scarlet Aeonia. It might be better to duplicate the Remembrance of the Rot Goddess in a Walking Mausoleum to get the best of both worlds.